CFR's Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update: December 11–16
This update represents violence in Nigeria and related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger from December 11 to December 16, 2021.
Blog Post by Michelle GavinDecember 20, 2021 1:08 pm (EST)
Terrorism and Counterterrorism
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from December 11 to December 16, 2021. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- December 11: Gunmen killed two and kidnapped seven in Sabon Birni, Sokoto.
- December 11: Kidnappers abducted two in Ugwunagbo, Abia.
- December 11: Kidnappers abducted five in Chikun, Kaduna.
- December 12: Bandits killed ten and kidnapped two in Wase, Plateau.
- December 12: Kidnappers abducted two in Okigwe, Imo.
- December 12: Kidnappers abducted three in Bali, Taraba.
- December 12: Kidnappers abducted two in Ethiope East, Delta.
- December 13: Gunmen killed one police officer during an attack on a police station in Umuahia, Abia.
- December 13: Police officers killed two bandits in Giwa, Kaduna.
- December 13: Bandits killed two and kidnapped thirty in Zaria, Kaduna.
- December 13: Nigerian soldiers killed six Boko Haram militants in Madagali, Adamawa.
- December 14: Robbers killed four during a series of bank robberies in Yagba West, Kogi.
- December 14: Gunmen killed three and kidnapped one in Awka, Anambra.
- December 14: Gunmen killed three in Ado, Benue.
- December 14: Police officers killed one kidnapper in Abakaliki, Ebonyi.
- December 15: Bandits killed one and kidnapped eight in Zaria, Kaduna.
- December 15: Bandits kidnapped five from a church in Akure, Ondo.
- December 15: Kidnappers killed an abducted Imo monarch and one other in Okigwe, Imo.
- December 16: A mob killed one police officer and two others in Yagba West, Kogi.
- December 16: Bandits killed four in Chikun Local Government Area (LGA), four in Zangon Kataf LGA, and one in Zaria LGA in Kaduna.
- December 16: Nigerian troops killed "scores" (estimated at forty) of bandits in Isa, Sokoto.